f

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Computers...A Love Hate Relationship

The above picture best describes how I have been feeling about my computer. To tell the truth, I came very close to throwing it out the window yesterday. We are getting a new computer!!!
Since the computer has decided to cooperate with me today, I have downloaded close up pictures of my outfit that I wore to the wedding.

The jacket is not my design. I used a wonderful 1940's pattern. It was a bit strange to put together. This was a pattern where it was a must to mark everything, every dot, every notch. The pattern actually has a two piece sleeve. There is an armhole seam for the front sleeve, but the back sleeve is part of the back pattern piece. There was a strange little dart that formed the shoulder seam. The front actually closes on an angel.


Just for fun, I had these little glass beads so I decided to sew them to the ends of the buttonholes. My buttonholes were fine, but after I did this I realized that this could be a great little trick to cover up a bound buttonhole that didn't quite work out!


The skirt. It was really a lot of fun to put together. The trick was getting the ribbons tight enough, but not too tight.


In my last post, I told you about the ribbon with the stitching on the edge. The ribbon I'm talking about is the beige ribbon. I just loved it. It's very subtle, but it picked up the beige in the jacket and the brown that was used for the dragon motif.

I backed the skirt with a piece of silk and I used a piece of lace seam binding to hold the ribbons down for the hem.

I've been determined to use what I have lately. I had a piece of silk charmuse that was perfect for the lining, but it was just a little too short to add a hem. I was determined, so I started looking through everything and I came across a piece of lace edging that I had cut off of some lace yardage 26 years ago. Magically, I had just enough. So I zigzagged the piece on the silk, done. I was so happy.


And now, just a little fun. The bracelet I bought at an antique store some time ago. I love it. It was crocheted and it has the lovliest white glass buttons on it. I don't think that any two are exactly alike.


And for most of us, the icing on the cake is ironically our shoes and I dooooo love shoes. I have had these shoes for quite a while and they have been a prized piece of my wardrobe as they seem to go with so many things. And here's the best part, I paid $20.00 for them. I was downtown one day and as I was walking to the train, I walked past this shoe store. I thought, I'm just going in to look (sure), I don't need anything. This was the last pair and they had been marked down a number of times. I just couldn't believe that no one had bought them. Need them or not, they were going home with me.
Thank you for all the lovely comments I've received. It means the world to me.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous outfit! I'm looking forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to find out that you'll be coming to the show. Great!! I'm planning to have dinner with all of you on Saturday night. Can't wait to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful as always. You're creativity never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda, lovely to meet you on Saturday. Sorry you couldn't stay for the rest of Master Shingo's workshop. I was looking forward to seeing what amazing things you would interpret from his techniques.

    Luv the glass beads on this buttonhole!! Genius! Will tweet it out later to come back to your blog post. Will now become a regular reader. :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete