f

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday's Soup

Today's soup is a hearty but light soup with a bit of heat. Of course you can modify the heat with how much pepper you add.
Spicy Thai Carrot Peanut Soup

Ingredients
1 tablespoon of sesame or peanut oil
2 onions chopped
1 stalk of celery chopped
1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 pounds of carrots, sliced
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 14 oz. can of Light Coconut Milk
4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
2 tablespoons of peanut butter, if not using a natural, unsalted peanut butter, reduce salt
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
juice of 1 lime
Heat oil and place all of the chopped vegetables, red pepper flakes and salt in pot. Cook on a medium heat until onion is tender, about 10 minutes. 
Add coconut milk and broth to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until carrots are tender. The colors are just so lovely.
Once the carrots are tender, add the peanut butter, soy sauce and lime juice. Puree with a hand held mixing wand or process in a blender or food processor until smooth. You may want to add a bit more salt or red pepper flakes, so adjust seasonings at this point.
Garnish the soup with chopped cilantro, green onions, chopped peanuts and or lime wedges. I also enjoy adding sauteed tofu to this soup, but some left over chopped chicken would be delicious as well. As you can see from the ingredients, this is a fairly light soup, but it has a robust taste, perfect for this time of year.
If you decide to give the soup a try, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm I can smell the heat ... Love thai soup especially thai carrot ginger soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, my husband went to the bathroom during dinner and got both of us a kleenex!!!!! Our noses were running that much! Worth it though.

      Delete
  2. This looks really good. I'm making lots of soup these days, but I keep making the same one over and over. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to Chicago and I'll cook and cook for you!!

      Delete
  3. Oh yum- I love Thai! I need to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda I made this today and it was wonderful. I used to go to a Thai-Laotian restaurant in Falls Church VA that served this. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri. I made this off the top of my head. I had no idea that it was actually being served in a restaurant. So happy that my version matches what you remember and I'm really haapy that you enjoyed it.

      Delete