f

Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday Morning Inspiration/Edith Head, One Last Look

Happy Monday Everyone!!! It's a glorious day here in Chicago, we have a bright blue sky, the birds are singing, and the crocuses are popping out of the ground. I took this picture while I was out on my morning walk. Now, that's enough to make anyone sing!
Everyone seemed to really enjoy the Edith Head post I did last week, so I thought I would do a little follow up this week.
I remember the first time I saw the movie "Rear Window." what a great movie by the way, a true suspense thriller. Grace Kelly walked in in this lovely suit, and then....
 she took the jacket off and I was in love! Absolutely stunning.
After I posted the sketch of the costume, I received a message from Meg of www.meggipeg.com. Look at the stunning version of the costume that she created.
 Absoutely beautiful. You can see her full post HERE.
Now here's the good news, you can create your own version too! Meg sent me a link to the pattern and you can find it HERE.  
I also posted a sketch of this glorious dress last week.
Take another look at the sketch and notice that the final version of the gown wasn't as elaborate as the sketch.
Rosy of Sewingadicta did a beautiful copy of the gown, but she hand painted the motif on the skirt. You can see her full post on the process HERE.
Edith Head realized that the average American woman loved her designs and wanted to look like movie stars. She was extremely successful at marketing her brand, designing patterns for Advance, Butterick and Vogue. The Advance Patterns are a little more difficult to find and when you do, they are rather expensive.


The Vogue Patterns are much more readily available. Looking at this pattern, your first thought might be that it is a little dated, but take a second look. The short sleeve jacket is especially nice and if the culottes were shortened, or lengthened, they would be perfect.
 And of course, this dress is basically timeless.

I found this website where you can purchase your own copy of an Edith Head sketch. They are reproductions and there are many available.
And finally, one last video. It's a short documentary, a little over 8 minutes long. It features Edith Head and talks about what it takes to be a costume designer. I thought it was very interesting and fun to watch.  


I hope the sun is shining wherever you, and if not in the sky, at least in your heart.
Have a wonderful week!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

23 comments:

  1. OMG! Dear Rhonda joined you two things that I love passionately, the first one is my idolized Edith Head. and the second one is beautiful dresses of old movies. Thanks for thinking of me for this post, you know my "weakness" by the fashion of Old Hollywood !! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for more inspiration! And yes it is sunny here in Melbourne. Absolutely beautiful autumn day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better for the soul than a little sunshine :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful recreation of the Grace Kelly outfits. I really love the work of Edith Head. Will have to keep an eye out for those patterns. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Afvance 8049!is one that I would really like to have!

      Delete
  4. I adore that top Rhonda, thanks for the link. I had promised to make my daughter this one http://www.studiofaro.com/well-suited/pattern-puzzle-gil-brandao-conjunto-pratico
    I had recalled it looked similar, but on second look its not quite the rear window edition, but possibly a little more forgiving on fit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Studio Faro top will be much more forgiving. It's such a pretty top. I think insight give it a try too. Thanks for sending the link.

      Delete
  5. Oh, those designs are utterly breathtaking! I am so inspired to see Rosy and Meggie making such beautiful copies. The rolled edges on that halter top are inspiring!

    I really enjoyed you EH series, Rhonda. Thank you so much. We are still a foot and a half covered with snow but when I see your pics of Chi town I know it will get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold tight Bunny, Spring is coming!!! We are supposed to have temps in the 60s later this week and it does move east :)

      Delete
    2. Bunny - thank you for the lovely compliment on the rolled neckline. It's one my favorite features of the pattern!

      Delete
    3. Bunny knows good design, so a compliment from her is worth it's weight in gold. These days, that's a small fortune ;)

      Delete
  6. Glorious designs. I have Vogue 2905 in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jacket on that pattern is adorable. I especially like the short sleeve version.

      Delete
  7. Back to say I just enjoyed the Edith Head video. Her impeccably tailored suits just blow me away. I love how she "walks the walk". The designers we see at the end of runway shows are unkempt with black tee shirts and black jeans. Edith lived her style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Rhonda for another post on this wonderful woman. I love the 'd Hollywood costume, and still infuriate my family by commenting on the costumes before anything else at the cinema or theatre. I am currently hankering after Alicia Floricks wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the good wife, such a wonderful wardrobe!

      Delete
  9. I love to see women who take their inspiration and RUN with it - your readers are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are a very talented group of ladies :)

      Delete
  10. Rhonda,
    Thank you thank you thank you for all the lovely comments and shout-outs to the Heroine's Closet, SavageCoco Patterns and MeggiPeg. You've done the Heroine so very proud!
    Enjoy!
    Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly my pleasure :) I am planning to try out one of your patterns soon. Can't wait!!

      Delete
  11. What a fabulous post honoring two distinctive women with great taste. I loved Rear Window, and the work of your readers is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post! I love Edith Head designs! I can almost always tell her work when I watch old movies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Rear Window" is one of my absolutely favorite movies...full of eye candy! Thank you so much for these Edith Head posts...truly inspirational!

    ReplyDelete