f

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

The Wednesday Showcase

Last Saturday, my husband picked me up from the Haute Couture meeting and said, "oh, by the way, Gracie got into something and she really smells." I responded, "and you just left her to run all over the house with that horrible smell and deposit it on everything she touches?!!" He replied, "well, I didn't know what to do." I then asked, "what do you do when you smell?" He said, "I take a bath." Oh, the lovely conversations of a married couple ;) When I walked in the door, I immediately changed my clothes, got the dog, and off we went to the downstairs shower for the next 1 1/2 hours. I got rid of whatever she had rolled in, but OMG!!!, the hair! So today she is off for a formal bath that will rid her of all the excess hair that she has accumulated over the winter. A task that I gladly pay for :)

There are times in our lives that are similar to the months of winter, rather dark, bleak, and at least on the surface, lifeless. As difficult as it can be to go through such a period, I think they are important times of growth. While trees seem dormant during the winter months, they are really just strengthening themselves for the vibrant beauty that will come in the spring. 

This past winter was a time that I needed to be quiet, maybe shed some old bark that I had held on to for far too long, and find the strength I needed to once again bloom. So many of you sent such lovely notes, gently asking if I was okay. While I didn't answer all of your notes(and I apologize for that), they were read and greatly appreciated. 

With the longer days, the trees beginning to bud, the crocuses beginning to bloom, I too feel as though spring is bursting forth in my own life. I feel revived, and ready to take on my next challenge, one which I will share soon. 

One note that I received was from Kathleen Grissom. She does not have a blog, but she is a New York Times best selling author. Wow, now that is an amazing accomplishment! She felt compelled to write because of THIS post. I'll share a piece of her note;

"I am a woman of seventy years. I have many friends, along with myself, who have suffered tremendous pain and I would guess that the cause would be similar to what you have endured. Yes, you are rising from the ashes, but your wings will be stronger than before because they will no longer be restrained from carrying a burden that was never yours to carry." 

Me, being the curious person that I am, decided to check out her website. Oh my, was I ever inspired, and I thought you might be as well :)



Her first book The Kitchen House, is "a tragic story of page-turning suspense, exploring the meaning of family, where love and loyalty prevail."

In the video below, Kathleen talks about how she became inspired to write the book. 



Her second book, Glory Over Everything, loosely tied to her first book, continues the story of Jamie Pyke. "A saga of slavery as textured as it is tense," The Columbus Dispatch.   



I love how Kathleen speaks of her writing, and her inspiration. 



She is currently working on her third novel, which I am especially interested in, due to my American Indian heritage. It's the true story of Mary Crow, a native American who wore a Colt revolver on her studded belt and was not afraid to use it! 

I have not read either of Kathleen's books, but I have ordered the audio version of both, and I am very anxious for them to arrive. You can find her website HERE. I hope you'll pop over and get to know her. I have no idea of whether she sews or not. Kathleen, if by chance you do read this post, let us know!!!

I'll leave you today with the quote that Kathleen read from Harriet Tubman. While most of us will never know what it was like to be a slave, most all of us have been through things in our lives which have enslaved us, maybe for quite some time, and maybe for only a short period. Sometimes it can seem overwhelming to let go of whatever it is that has had a hold on us. What I especially love about this quote is the joy, and the promise that the effort it takes to take that chance, to let go, to move forward, is well worth it.  




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. The Kitchen House is an excellent book. I am happy to find there is another book related to it. Definitely will read it soon. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed The Kitchen House. Looking forward to getting my copy!

      Delete
  2. Always glad to get a good book recommendation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll have a review once I read it, so stay tuned! 😊

      Delete
  3. Also, we just drove from Ontario to Texas round trip, and on the return trip, we visited Harriet Tubman's house in Ohio. It was the first I had ever heard of this remarkable woman. Strange coincidence that you should mention her in your blog. But then perhaps there are no coincidences in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this lovely post! I can truly relate to those dark periods and how it is personal growth that brings you out of them. And, oh boy, the letting go. I stayed for two years in a job that was dragging me down, because it was a very well-paying job in an excellent company, and stepping away from that was quite scary. I had a house and a mortgage and was just getting by, so felt confined in the world I'd built for myself. Last year I sold my house, downsized, moved into a Senior Cohousing community, and left that job. I now work from home at lower pay but the quality of life is so much better. Every time I've been stuck out of fear and finally worked up the courage to step into the unknown, I have looked back and thought "I should have done that sooner", but of course it probably took that period of self-growth to get to the point of taking the first step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing your journey. It is truly one of great strength and courage. I just read something today about happiness and joy. Happiness is fleeting, something that happens to us. Joy is something that is found within, a true state of being. What I hear in your story is joy and peace 😊 Congratulations!

      Delete
  5. I loved the “Kitchen House “when I read it several years ago. That’s amazing that the author reached out to you . I can’t wait to read her newer book .
    I’m so glad ypu are blooming again . Taking time for yourself is sometimes hard to do but very,very necessary . Looking forward to more projects from you .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were able to leave a comment! WooHoo!!! 😊 I’m really looking forward to reading both books. I listened to a bit of her second book and I think it will be intriguing.
      You have been such a lovely cheer leader for me. Thank you for all your messages.

      Delete